Jill M Harlan
James Mark Building
901 Quarrier Street
Charleston, West Virginia 25301-2607
|Position||Areas of Practice||Education|
Jill M. Harlan was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1965. Her family moved to Wheeling, West Virginia where she attended Wheeling Park High School. Ms. Harlan attended Marshall University where she graduated with a degree in Criminal Justice and a minor in Psychology. During her undergraduate studies, Ms Harlan was a member of the national criminal justice honor society, Alpha Phi Sigma, and was a student representative to the Faculty Senate.
Ms. Harlan graduated from the West Virginia University College of Law in 1992. While in law school, Ms. Harlan was a member of the Moot Court Board and the Marlyn E. Lugar Trial Association.
Ms. Harlan has a vast array of legal experience representing both private clients and governmental entities in jury trials, administrative hearings, and the West Virginia Supreme Court. She formerly worked with the law firms of Steptoe & Johnson and Flaherty, Sensabaugh and Bonasso. Ms Harlan has also worked as a law clerk to the Public Service Commission of West Virginia, as the Assistant City Attorney for the City of Charleston, as an Assistant Attorney General for the West Virginia Division of Corrections, and as an attorney for the West Virginia Division of Highways.
In the fall of 2006, Ms. Harlan took a leave of absence from the practice of law to become a full-time mother. In addition to devoting time to her young family, she is actively involved in the Charleston chapter of Mothers and More, a national non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of mothers through support, education, and advocacy. Ms. Harlan served as Co-leader, Treasurer and Marketing chairperson for the local chapter. Ms. Harlan also volunteers with the Gabriel Project, an organization that provides assistance and support to mothers and families of young children.
In September 2011, Ms. Harlan resumed the practice of law when she joined the firm of Pullin, Fowler, Flanagan, Brown and Poe, PLLC, in the firm’s Charleston office.
Ms. Harlan is admitted to practice before the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals and the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia.
Ms. Harlan resides in South Charleston with her husband and their two sons.
Current Employment Position(s):
- General Civil Litigation
- Employment Law
- State and Municipal Liability
- Civil Rights Litigation
- Personal Injury Defense
- 95% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- West Virginia, 1992
- U.S. District Court Southern District of West Virginia, 1992
- West Virginia University College of Law, Morgantown, West Virginia, 1992
Doctor of Jurisprudence
- Marshall University, Huntington West Virginia, Huntington , West Virginia, 1989
A.B., Bachelor of Arts
Major: Criminal Justice
- Moot Court Board
- Alpha Phi Sigma, National Criminal Justice Honor Society
Past Employment Positions:
- Public Service Commission, Law Clerk, 2002 – 2006
- WV Division of Corrections, Assistant Attorney General, 1995
- City of Charleston, Assistant City Attorney, 1997 – 2002
- WV Division of Highways, Attorney, 1995 – 1996
- Steptoe & Johnson, Associate, 1996 – 1997
- Flaherty, Sensabaugh & Bonasso, Associate, 1992 – 1995