Workersâ Compensation Defense Lawyers Serving Ohio and Kentucky
Representing businesses from our main law offices in Charleston, WV
At both the state and federal level, various laws protect employees from on-the-job injuries, unsafe work environments and workplace discrimination and harassment. Unfortunately, many complaints and claims that employees make are not justified. And even those that are justified may be overreaching. At Pullin, Fowler, Flanagan, Brown & Poe, we use our experience and knowledge to protect employers throughout West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky from unwarranted liability for these claims. Our attorneys understand the intricacies of state and federal employment laws and provide representation during litigation and routine legal counsel to help employers avoid or minimize exposure to liability.
Our workersâ compensation practice
Our workersâ compensation group in West Virginia has built an impressive record of success representing employers throughout the state in all manner of workersâ compensation issues, including:
- Litigation defense â Our competent West Virginia attorneys can advise your company about when to contest a workersâ compensation claim and provide representation during the litigation process.
- Workersâ compensation fraud â Fraud costs employers and their insurers millions of dollars each year. At Pullin, Fowler, Flanagan, Brown & Poe, we use our extensive resources and experience to identify suspicious claims and hold untruthful employees accountable for workersâ compensation fraud.
- Out of state employees â We can help West Virginia companies that have out of state employees understand the workersâ comp requirements in other jurisdictions. And if litigation occurs, our attorneys can coordinate with local counsel to ensure that they are apprised of the facts.
- Serious and willful misconduct â Allegations against an employer of serious and willful misconduct may expose that company to tort liability despite West Virginia workersâ compensation laws. These allegations are serious and require a swift legal response.
- Uninsured employers â Employers without workersâ compensation insurance face steep fines and exposure to direct liability for employee injuries. Our attorneys are able to defend uninsured employers and help them minimize the damage.
- Entities exempt from workersâ compensation â Certain entities in West Virginia are exempt from workersâ compensation requirements, or they can choose to be self-insured. Our lawyers can advise businesses of their obligations and provide litigation defense for uninsured or self-insured employers.
Other aspects of our employment law practice
Our experienced attorneys advise companies of all sizes throughout West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky regarding other labor and employment law issues, including:
- Labor discrimination â State and federal statutes prohibit various types of discrimination and retaliation by employees against employers. Our attorneys can protect your companyâs interests during labor discrimination investigations and litigation.
- Construction defects â While workersâ comp laws generally protect employers from civil liability, other parties may face lawsuits if construction defects contribute to an on-the-job injury. Our experienced litigators defend property owners and contractors facing this type of third party liability.
- OSHA violations â Violations of OSHA regulations can exact fines and impact civil lawsuits. Our attorneys can advise your company about how OSHA violations can affect your liability exposure.
- Black Lung Benefits Act â Coal mine operators are obligated by the Black Lung Benefits Act to pay benefits to employees disabled from pneumoconiosis arising from their employment. We advise mine operators of their rights and obligations under the BLBA and provide representation during hearings and appeals.
Pullin, Fowler, Flanagan, Brown & Poe advises companies about various employment law issues
Pullin, Fowler, Flanagan, Brown & Poe is committed to advising and defending employers throughout West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio in workersâ compensation and other employment law matters. Call us at 304-344-0100 or contact us online to begin a relationship with a law firm that is nationally recognized for experience and quality while remaining dedicated to its community and employees.