Lisa Hunter was raised in the northern panhandle in Weirton, West Virginia. She currently lives in Charleston with her husband and their two children.
Lisa Hunter is a member in the firm’s workers’ compensation department. Her practice concentrates in workers’ compensation defense, focusing on injury claims and occupational disease. Ms. Hunter has more than 15 years of experience in defending employers in various industries and professions including coal mining, healthcare, education, and state agencies. She has extensive experience practicing before the Office of Judges and in appellate work before the Board of Review and West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals.
Prior to joining the firm, she worked at Jackson & Kelly in workers’ compensation defense; served as in-house counsel for State Farm, and worked at Shaffer & Shaffer in Madison, West Virginia, concentrating in workers’ compensation law. Ms. Hunter received a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology from West Virginia University in 1994. Thereafter, she received her Juris Doctorate from West Virginia University in May 1997.
Ms. Hunter has been admitted to practice before the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, the United States District Court of the Southern District of West Virginia, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Ms. Hunter is actively involved with the West Virginia Bar Association and served as Secretary for the Executive Counsel of the WVBA Young Lawyers Division.
Current Employment Position(s):
- Member, since August 1, 2008
Areas of Practice:
- West Virginia University College of Law, Morgantown, West Virginia, 1997
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia, 1994
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- The Best Lawyers in America 2013
- Kanawha County Bar Association, Member
- United States Court of Appeals – Fourth Circuit. Member
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia, Member
- West Virginia State Bar Association, Member
- West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, Member
Past Employment Positions:
- Jackson Kelly, 2001 – 2007
- State Farm Insurance Company, 2000 – 2001
- Shaffer & Shaffer, 1997 – 2000